Medical translation is the most complex and responsible type of work for the translator. For medical translation, it makes sense to contact only an experienced translator. For more than 10 years since 2009, I have been translating medical reports almost daily. Language pair: German – Russian/Russian – German.
Medical translation includes the following types of medical documents:
• Translation of MRI (magnetic resonance tomography)
• Translation of CT report (computed tomography)
• Translation of the conclusion of ultrasound/sonography (ultrasound examination)
• Translation of treatment report in clinic/so-called translation of epicrisis
• Translation of histology (so-called intravital pathological-anatomical examination)
• Translation of cytological research
• Translation of laboratory-chemical tests (blood, urine, sputum, sowing of smears)
• Translation of the report/conclusion on the medical examination carried out by a specialist: conclusion of a neurologist, conclusion of an endoscopist, conclusion of a therapist/internist, conclusion of a gynecologist, conclusion of a urologist, conclusion of an orthopedist, conclusion of a dermatologist, conclusion of an endocrinologist
• Translation of the operational protocol
• Translation of recommendations for post-operative rehabilitation measures
• Translation of chemotherapy instruction (regimen)
As well as a number of related documents: translation of the contract with the clinic, translation of medical correspondence during remote counselling (telemedicine). It is important to note that when making a medical translation, it is necessary to translate all abbreviations – otherwise the meaning of the text may be lost.
Absolutely all the listed types of documents I translated and translate now, so the experience has accumulated very great.
Check of medical translation: it is carried out after the translation is ready, and is done from the beginning to the end of the document, not selectively.
Latin terms: usually not translated if they denote arteries, veins, bones and their parts, cartilages, menisci, parts of the brain, as well as some names of diseases. Translation of Latin words and expressions should be done as necessary, since excessive zeal here on the contrary, can harm the cause. If necessary, I will certainly be able to translate Latin medical names into Russian or German.
Speed of medical transfer: speed should be adequately high. During the day, an experienced medical translator is able to translate about 10 pages of text (1 page = 1800 characters with spaces). The speed of medical translation also depends significantly on the complexity of the text, so the translator will make more familiar topics faster. But the most important thing is experience and once again experience. And experience in medical transfers (as in any other) comes only over the years.